Sunday, April 24, 2011

German Chocolate Cake


Ahhh, German Chocolate Cake.  This is my dad's favorite cake.  His birthday was at the beginning of the month, but he and my mom came to lunch today, so we decided to celebrate a little late with this rich dessert.
This cake is not difficult to make, but definitely isn't a cake you can throw together quickly, so keep that in mind if you decide to bake.  I never liked this cake as a child, but now that I make it and can chop the nuts super small, I actually really love it!  I am not a huge fan of nuts mixed in my food.  Love them alone, but don't want them in my food until pulverized to little pieces.  This way I can still add the flavor without the interruption of the big nut in every bite.  Weird, I know!  Anyways, I use the recipe from the "Better Homes And Garden" cookbook.  It is one of my favorite cookbooks and without a doubt, I use almost every week.

German Chocolate Cake

Cake Ingredients:

3 eggs
2/3 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 4-ounce package sweet baking chocolate
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup buttermilk/sour milk

Frosting Ingredients:

1 egg
5-ounce can evaporated milk
2/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter
1 1/3 cups flaked coconut
1/2 cup chopped pecans

Directions:

Separate eggs.  Allow egg yolks, egg whites, and butter to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.  Meanwhile, grease and lightly flour 2- 8 or 9 inch round cake pans.  Set pans aside.  In a medium bowl stir together flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside.

In a small saucepan combine chocolate and 1/3 cup water.  Cook and stir over low heat until chocolate is melted; cool.

In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds.  Gradually add sugar, beating until well combined.  Scrape sides of bowl; continue beating for 2 minutes.  Beat in egg yolks 1 at a time, beating well after each addition (about 1 minute total).  Beat in cooled chocolate mixture and vanilla.  Alternately add flour mixture and buttermilk to butter mixture; beat on low speed after each addition until combined. 

Thoroughly wash the beater.  In a large mixing bowl beat egg whites with an electric mixer on high speed until stiff peaks form.  Gently fold egg whites into the batter.  Spread batter into the prepared pans.

Bake in a 350* oven for 20-25 minutes for 9-inch pans, 25-30 minutes for 8-inch pans, or until a wooden toothpick inserted near centers comes out clean.  Cool cake layers on wire racks for 10 minutes.  Remove cake layers from pans; cool thoroughly on racks.  Spread cold coconut-pecan frosting over the top of each cake; stack the layers.

Frosting Directions:

In a medium saucepan slightly beat 1 egg.  Stir in one 5-ounce can evaporated milk, 2/3 cup sugar, and 1/4 cup butter.  Cook and stir over medium heat for 6-8 minutes or until thickened and bubbly.  Remove from heat; stir in 1 1/3 cups flaked coconut and 1/2 cup chopped pecans.  Cover and cool thoroughly.

*I actually double the frosting recipe so I can frost the sides of cake as well.  Per the cookbook, they just frost the bottom layer, then put top layer cake on, then layer the top with frosting.  I usually have frosting left over when I double the recipe.  I put the extra frosting in a bowl and sit with a spoon and eat each and every last drop of the frosting.  I then wash down with a big mug of coffee. 

The "Better Homes & Garden" cookbook can be found at amazon.com or your local library.



1 comment:

  1. I never liked german chocolate cake either ... until I made it all from scratch last year. Now I agree it is worth the work!

    ReplyDelete